Saturday, May 31, 2008

The World is in Good Hands

I have just spent the last three days in Washington DC with my school's quiz bowl team, which I coach. We are here for national championships. Most people would balk at the idea of spending 4 days in a big city with 6 teenagers between 15 and 18. And normally I would too. But these kids are different. They’re special. And not in the Olympics way. These are the best of the best. So you would think we did well here.

Yeah, we got our ass handed to us.

But it wasn’t about the competition. I mean sure, we wanted to do well. Who doesn’t? But something happened this weekend that defies logic. I saw 6 kids have the time of their lives, literally. The will walk away from this weekend with memories that will last a lifetime. They will never forget the 4 days they spent in our nation’s capital.

And neither will I.

We just left a little restaurant in Fairfax where we are staying. Dolce Vita is a little Italian restaurant. And boy do I mean little. It’s in a strip mall space that must have originally been a shoe store. It’s cramped, loud, and obnoxious. And I want to move here so I can eat there every night. It was by far the most amazing meal I have ever had. Ever. But it begs the question, was it the food or the significance of the meal?

Don’t get me wrong, the food was amazing. I have no problem saying it was the best Italian I have ever eaten. But there was so much more than the food going on. See, this is our first year and for the seniors, it’s also their last. We come from a school not known for its academics. It’s more known for its fights and drug arrests. So these kids are looked over quite often. That’s why I started the team; I wanted to give those kids an outlet. I wanted to save them from the drudgery of that school. I wanted to give them the recognition they deserve. I wanted to save them for the future.

And in the process, they saved me.

I don’t mean to get emotional or melodramatic, but they really did. I was ready to quit. I can make a whole lot more money in industry. Hell, I could probably make more money writing full time. No mother, I still haven’t quit my day job. I didn’t feel like I was making a difference. I didn’t feel like I was doing any good in the world. And then these kids came along and showed me what a fool I was. And for that I will always thank them. I will carry this weekend to my grave as my favorite non family moment ever. Normally this is where I put some funny last line that summarizes the post. I will keep with at least part of that tradition…

To Courtney, Laura, Diemmi, and Nathan: I can never say it enough. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. You have started something that will last for years to come. Know that every trip we take from here forward will never be the same. Each year will bring new memories, especially for those leaving. But you will never be replaced in my mind or my heart. I love you all and wish you the best.

No comments: