Monday, May 26, 2008

Somtimes, People Don't Suck

As I mentioned before, I teach high school. This Thursday, I leave for 4 days of academic mania as the Red Raider Quiz Bowl team heads to Washington DC for the PACE NSC National Championships. The school was very generous to us at the beginning of the year, buying us T-shirts and a $600 buzzer system. It's the end of the year so no money is left for us to pay for this trip. So now we are in the wonderful world of fundraising. Yeah!!!

The problem, of course, is we are inundated with people asking us for money. Charities, religions, agencies, schools, preschools, everybody wants our money. And that's not to mention our friends on the roadways, need help, God bless.

So most people turn up their noses to helping. Especially businesses. Oh they support some major charity that works everywhere so they say they help the communities they're in. Few actually work with true, local, grassroots groups.

So here we are, 2 weeks from leaving, and we still need $1800 to pay for everything. Enter the Greensboro News and Record, Barnes and Noble, and Bojangles. All three of these groups stepped up, promoted our team, and allowed us to do some things to raise money. I am forever grateful to you.

But more than them, thank you to all of you who proved me wrong. Thank you to all of you who showed up, sent money, donated time, bought books, talked to us, answered questions, and sent words of encouragement. Thank you to those who paid for a average car wash. Thank you to the parents who drove from other towns to get their car washed. (I think she was checking to see if I still had my day job.) Thank you, thank you, thank you. We made it.

Now if I can only find a way to get us there...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know, I sit here reading these poignant words and ask my self, "Did I really get this lucky??" I am this blogger's wife and can tell you how hard he works for EVERYTHING we have!! I was at the car wash with him, scrubbing myself to a sunburn and would not have changed anything, even though it "wasn't for me." These kids are the spectacular type that comes along every few years and only some teachers are lucky enough to get to know them. I am forever grateful for my husband and the chance to know these kids. If these are our future leaders, world you have nothing to worry about!!! As far as band members, I'm not the groupie type, but I do have my eyes an a teacher I know!!!! ;)